Home » News
Professor Carole Goble, head of the Taverna team, has been appointed to the Council of the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) of the United Kingdom by the Minister for Universities and Science David Willetts. The appointment will run until 31 March 2017.
The Taverna team are pleased to announce that the paper “The Taverna workflow suite: designing and executing workflows of Web Services on the desktop, web or in the cloud.”, has been accepted for publication in the Nucleic Acids Research journal hosted by Oxford Journals. It highlights new features that have been added to Taverna Workbench and the Taverna Server. This also provides the first journal reference for Taverna 2 and hence a Digital Object Identifier (DOI) that facilitates citing the use of Taverna for its extensive user base.
Taverna workflows are being employed with myExperiment by astrophysicists working in the field of Heliophysics (study of the Sun and its interaction with planets, by tracking solar events) to develop a web portal that helps astrophysicists concentrate on their scientific data by hiding technical details. This is detailed in the paper Workflows for Heliophysics, published recently in the Journal of Grid Computing. The work forms part of the EU Framework 7 project HELIO, and is being disseminated to the worldwide Heliophysics community, as Heliophysics requires effort to be integrated on a global scale.
A Fellowship at the Software Sustainability Institute provides researchers from all disciplines with £3000 to spend on travel and more. The deadline for applications is 20 September 2012 at 16.00 UTC. If you want to benefit from a Fellowship, please apply now.
A patch for Taverna 2.4 is now available to install.
To install the patch
- Start Taverna 2.4. It is best to install the patch when no workflows are being edited or run.
- Click “Advanced” on the top menu and select “Updates and plugins”; the Updates and plugins dialog will appear.
- Click “Find updates” within the dialog. You should now see that updates are available for four parts of Taverna. You need to install all four updates for Taverna to be patched correctly. Do *not* restart Taverna until all four updates are installed.
- Choose “External tool service” and then click “update” on the right. The Taverna user interface may be unresponsive while the update is downloaded. Do not quit Taverna.
- When the update has finished, Taverna will show a dialog warning that the update will not take effect until Taverna is restarted. Do not restart Taverna yet. “External tool service” should now show that it is version 2.4.1
- Update “Service catalogue”, update “Services” and then update “Workbench” in a similar manner
- Restart Taverna.
In this edition you will find a letter from the project coordinator, Alex Hardisty, and a general presentation of BioVeL‘s consortium. Several articles present updates on the development of the project services and workflows. The last pages are dedicated to past and upcoming events.
The Taverna team are pleased to announce that Taverna 2.4.0 Workbench and the Command Line Tool are now available for download.