Taverna is an open source and domain-independent Workflow Management System – a suite of tools used to design and execute scientific workflows and aid in silico experimentation.
Taverna has been created by the myGrid team and funded through the OMII-UK. The project has guaranteed funding till 2014.
The Taverna suite is written in Java and includes the Taverna Engine (used for enacting workflows) that powers both the Taverna Workbench (the desktop client application) and the Taverna Server (which allows remote execution of workflows). Taverna is also available as a Command Line Tool for a quick execution of workflows from a terminal. Taverna Online lets you edit and run Taverna workflows on the Web – try it now.
Taverna uses the external tool Graphviz for generating workflow diagrams. Linux and Mac OS X users need to install Graphviz separately.
Integrated with other myGrid tools
- Fully featured, extensible and scalable scientific Workflow Management System
- Available as a desktop Workbench, from a command line or remotely as a Server
- Client libraries (in Ruby and Java) for easy interface building and accessing the functionality of the Taverna Server
- Access to local and remote resources and analysis tools, Web and grid services; 3500+ service s available on start up
- Support for calling tools/scripts on local or remote machines as part of a workflow
- Not restricted to predetermined services – rapid incorporation of new services without coding
- Extensible service plug-in architecture for adding new service types
- Up-to-date R support (version 3.0.1)
- Excel and csv spreadsheet support
- Secure access to resources on the Web
- Packaging of services to allow for customisation and sharing of service sets (e.g. “Taverna for chemists”)
- Standards-compliant provenance collection
- Graphical workflow designer – drag and drop workflow components
- Workflow validation during design time and intermediate values during workflow runs for debugging workflows
- Cross platform (written in Java), open source, LGPL licensed
- See the full list of Taverna’s features
Works with …
Robust data integration system for large scale data querying
Web services wrapping existing command-line analysis programs (such as EMBOSS sequence analysis)
Semantic Web services described using the SADI framework
Software for statistical computing and graphics
Provides tools for the analysis and comprehension of high-throughput genomic data
- A number of third party plugins
- How can Taverna help me?
- Who else is using Taverna?
- What services are available in Taverna?
- How to integrate Taverna in your application?
- How can I use Taverna as a service or from a Web page/portal?
- Workflows operating over a grid or cloud infrastructure
- Taverna and databases
- Who do we collaborate with?