Taverna is an open source and domain-independent Workflow Management System – a suite of tools used to design and execute scientific workflows and aid in silico experimentation.
Taverna has been created by the myGrid team and is currently funded though FP7 projects BioVeL and SCAPE. In the past it received funding from the OMII-UK, EPSRC, ESRC and BBSRC.
The Taverna tools include the Workbench (desktop client application), the Command Line Tool (for a quick execution of workflows from a terminal), the Server (for remote execution of workflows) and the Player (Web interface plugin for submitting workflows for remote execution). Taverna Online lets you create Taverna workflows from a Web browser.
Integrated with other myGrid tools
- Fully featured, extensible and scalable scientific Workflow Management System
- Available as a desktop Workbench, from a command line or remotely as a Server
- Versions of Workbench and command line specialized for domains
- Taverna Player and client libraries (in Ruby and Java) for easy Web interface building and accessing the functionality of Taverna Server
- Access to local and remote resources and analysis tools, Web and grid services
- Support for calling tools/scripts on local or remote machines as part of a workflow
- Not restricted to predetermined services – rapid incorporation of new services without coding
- Extensible service plug-in architecture for adding new service types
- Up-to-date R support (version 3.1.0)
- Excel and csv spreadsheet support
- Secure access to resources on the Web
- Interaction with a running workflow from your web browser
- Creating and sharing workflow fragments as components
- Standards-compliant workflow run provenance collection
- See the full list of Taverna’s features
Works with …
- – robust data integration system for large scale data querying
- – Web services wrapping existing command-line analysis programs (such as EMBOSS sequence analysis)
- – Semantic Web services described using the SADI framework
- – software for statistical computing and graphics
- – tools for the analysis and comprehension of high-throughput genomic data
- A number of third party plugins
- How can Taverna help me?
- Who else is using Taverna?
- What services are available in Taverna?
- How to integrate Taverna in your application?
- How can I use Taverna as a service or from a Web page/portal?
- Workflows operating over a grid or cloud infrastructure
- Taverna and databases
- Who do we collaborate with?